Tuesday, October 14, 2014

What if there was no passion or purpose?

Is it just me, or is the word "passion" so overused these days?

That, and the word "dream". As in, your "dream life". Your "dream career". Follow your dreams. Ugh.

It's not that I don't think these are nice sentiments. I have fallen prey to them myself and have been trying to "find my passion" and "follow my dream" for years now. But I still don't feel like I am any closer to grasping my passion or "living my dream" because, guess what? Dreams change. Passions wane. Yes they do. And you are just left with your self.

So, enough is enough. It's bloody exhausting. All that chasing, of something as elusive as a dream!

What if, and I'm just throwing this out there, but what if just living a normal life was enough? What if we just accepted what is, rather than chase what isn't? What if, sometimes, we gave up on some dreams? Sometimes, some "dreams" just cause us unnecessary agonising and waste our time.

I have had a few dreams and, to be honest, mostly, none of them have come to fruition. And looking back, thank goodness! I was far too young to know, back then, what most of them would really entail. One of my big dreams was to be a TV presenter. (God, did you ever?!!!) I even went up to Jo'burg and did a TV presenting course! But looking back with a dose of realism now, I can see that it would have been a highly stressful job, involving lots of traveling, long hours, and quite possibly, a big ego. Things that I am just not cut out for. But back when I had this TV-presenting notion as dream, I fully believed I was capable of achieving it. Except I wasn't really. I am far too introverted naturally, and a quiet type of person. Now I can see that this "dream" was just an ego created idea. But back then, I believed I would be the next Oprah. Seems so silly now.

So now, with age and hindsight and a little bit of wisdom, I can see that all my so-called "dreams" and "passions" were just ideas. Ideas of who I thought I might like to be. Things that I thought would validate me or make me "great" or successful in the eyes of the world. Which makes me think that maybe all this hype about following our passion is a bit of hogwash. Maybe the smarter thing to do would be to do what we are good at, and, failing that, just be good at what we have to do. Just be good people. Be kind. Be attentive. The rest will take care of itself. Our so-called dreams and passions will unfold naturally without all of the "chasing".

All of this ra-ra, let's go after the life we dream is kind of bullshit. Life happens. And it hardly ever follows our plans. Which isn't to say we can't have a goal and aim for it. But let's also make room for acceptance. For slowing down. Let's make room for what is right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I will take the time to read and reply. Much love.