Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Lovely Buddhist Quote


The important point of spiritual practice is not to try to escape your life,but to face it -- exactly and completely.


~ Dainin Katagiri Roshi



What a lovely quote, right? Well, I think so. And I always think: life is hard, even when it's easy. What I mean is that even when things are going "smoothly" (whatever that really means!) there is laundry to be done, dishes to wash, food to cook, kids to nuture...the list of chores and duties and things to do goes on forever. So even though life is going along without a major problem, small daily problems tend to always arise. Bad traffic. Bad reactions. Upsets here and there.

I tend to shrink away from these. I try to avoid conflict at all costs and internally, I try to avoid all these negative feelings that can crop up. But a quote like the above reminds me that I can find greater peace by facing all the things in my life head on. Like a peaceful warrior. I can see my life, truly, and feel it deeply with all it's pain and joy, and I can be okay.

Today life threw one of those curveballs: my son fell and hit the side of his head quite hard. A big lump formed. Luckily he didn't suffer any concussion but he did throw up. It was one of those "wake-up" moments. It reminded me that I am living on auto-pilot a little these days and I need to be present.

So now I remind myself: I am grateful for everything in my life - good, bad and boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I will take the time to read and reply. Much love.