Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Amazing Bone Broth

I found three GREAT articles on bone broth and variations on how to make it, so I won't re-say it all here. The links are below, but just in summary: bone broth is a traditional food (liquid, but food, nonetheless) that has been largely lost in our fast-paced world with the invention of MSG and artificial flavourings. But bone broth is FULL of minerals and amino acids in a form that the body can use, so it's WAY better than spending money on supplements. (But yes, the money saved on supplements will probably go to Eskom for the electricity it will take to cook the bones for such a long time!)

Check these out:
1: Mark from Primal Blueprint on Bone Broth
2: Broth is Beautiful - lovely detailed article
3: If you want to learn about pressure cooking broth (it's quicker)

Yes, it's gonna take a long time to cook - 12 hours up till 72 hours for bigger bones - eish - seventy-two hours!!! - but I reckon that if I do a big pot now and then, I could make enough to last a while. It's not like I will do it every day. I am not sure I will ever do a 72 hour cook though...but I reckon I could do 12 hours.

Chicken heads and feet as well as cow heels (I found these in a local butchery the other day!) are recommended for gelatinous broths - and we can certainly find those for very cheap here! So this is another great way of getting excellent nutrition for a good price whilst Banting.

I cooked my first real bone broth the other day and it turned out great!

  Here's how I did it: I added a bit of vinegar to my pot before cooking (this helps leech the minerals out of the bones), covered the bones with water, and just brought it to the boil and then I let the pot simmer on the lowest heat the whole day, with the lid on. I used a whole lot of marrow bones and cow heels and let it do it's thing. I didn't even skim off scum as there wasn't really any scum. Only once it was done (after the whole day!) did I strain it through a sieve and then I froze half (with the fat) and kept the other half in the fridge. Towards the end of the cooking time, I added salt to taste at the end, as well as celery and garlic.

The broth in the fridge set really hard - like a thick jelly, with the creamy fat on top - which I then just scooped out and heated and drank today. It tasted really "real" - for lack of a better word - not fake like packaged stocks taste these days. I used the rest as stock in my mince and I have to say, the mince tasted very meaty and...again..."real"...which just shows how artificial most things taste nowadays.

So yeah, it takes forever, but I'd say it was worth it. Go on and give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I will take the time to read and reply. Much love.