Sunday, January 24, 2016

From zero carb to moderate whole food carbs

I have been experimenting with my own body on zero-carb, which you can read about in these posts here and here.

I felt mentally great, my body physically felt good, but two things were not so good. As I have talked about in my posts, this zero carb way of eating just gives me the runs. And yes, I know I haven't given it a long enough time to settle down, but heck, I am tired of fearing going out of the house in case it happens whilst I am driving to fetch my son or something like that.

So, I am back onto a few more carbs if and when I feel like them.

In exploring all this, I came across this very, very pragmatic read on Robb Wolf's site which deals with this question of carbs: how many, and should we restrict them if we have no major metabolic issues? For someone like me, who is active, slim and healthy, there may be no reason to restrict them for too long. Interestingly, in the movie "First Do No Harm" starring Meryl Streep, which is about an epileptic boy who eventually finds relief in a Ketogenic Diet, not even the epileptic patients remain on a ketogenic diet forever. They treat them with the diet for three years, and then the patients go back to what I assume is a normal diet (it doesn't really say at the end of the movie and I will have to do my own research to learn what diet they eat after their ketogenic ones.)

My point is, and just like the Robb Wolf article says, no one knows for sure, exactly how many and how few carbs and from which exact sources are going to lead to the best health and longevity. And perhaps, as this Ted Talk video suggests, it's got more to do with the quality of our relationships with our loved ones than it does with carbs. Just a random thought, perhaps some of the health and well-being of the primitive tribes has to do with their sense of community and belonging, as much as anything else?

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I will take the time to read and reply. Much love.