Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Q & A with Esmée La Fleur

Add caption
Meet  Esmée La Fleur, a woman whose story about diet and health has so captivated me that I simply had to ask her for an "interview" (via email) for my blog. She has struggled with her diet and health terribly, going from being a vegan (eating nothing from an animal) to going zero-carb, or, in other words, zero-plant/only meat, in her quest for health and healing. She is the owner of the very informative blog zerocarbzen and is an admin member of the equally informative and lively Facebook group, Principia Carnivora, who offer support and guidance for anyone wishing to know more about, and embark upon, a zero-carb, carnivorous diet. 


Esmée tells her story from her heart, and I believe that, although most of us won't have as high a degree of sensitivity to food as she does, that we can learn a lot from her and the path she has traveled. For me, personally, I learned more from her blog than I have from most doctors, and even though I generally tolerate most food well, I know I have some issues, and since reading Esmée's blog, I also know that I can find out a lot on my own through elimination diet and trial and error. Her story shows me that it is possible to claim our health back for ourselves. I won't say much more, as her answers to my questions give you a full idea of the journey she has traveled. Enjoy!

1.You have basically done a complete about turn with your diet – going from vegan (one end of the spectrum) to eating only meat now. How did you navigate this change (it was a process, I realise that) mentally and emotionally? (As an aside, I became vegetarian at the age of 16 for the same reasons you went vegan – ethically, I felt that if I could survive without harming animals, then it was the right way to go.)


This was a very difficult transition for me and it really took me about 20 years to accomplish. 

I first read Dr. H.L. Newbold’s excellent book “The Type A Type B Weight Loss Book” when it was published in 1991. I was 21 at the time, and I had already been a vegan for 5 years. I was not overweight, but I had very severe chronic hypoglycemia by this point. I had to eat every 2-3 hours, or I would become a basket case. Dr. Newbold gives some fascinating case histories in his book of how certain foods (what he called “new” foods: grains, sugar, dairy), as well as certain modern chemicals in our environment could trigger uncontrollable hunger and binging. I never engaged in emotional binge eating, but I certainly engaged in carb or chemical induced binge eating. For example, if I opened a bag of chips or a package of cookies, I could not have just a few. Once I started eating them, I would have to finish the whole package. This is because carbs or chemicals were both capable of causing wild blood sugar swings in my body, and the only way to “fix” it was to keep eating. And, of course, as long as I was on a vegan diet, the only foods I had to choose from were high in carbs. So, I was searching for answers and Newbold's book came across my path. But his approach - which was basically to eat an all-beef diet - went so much against the beliefs I held at the time that I was unable to act on the information. I just could not bring myself to eat animals. Plus, there was so much contrary information out there about how bad meat was for our health. 

 The only other person that was advocating a similar diet was Dr. Robert Atkins, and he was being vilified by everyone. Nevertheless, Dr. Newbold's book planted a seed very deep within me and it is the book I kept coming back to over the years as I got sicker and sicker. One of the reasons I found it difficult to jump into his program is that he recommended rib-eye steaks exclusively, and that was never a diet I could afford. We did not have Internet, and I did not know anyone else on the planet who was eating an all-beef diet. So, I lacked the confidence needed to follow a diet that basically went against everything I “knew” to be true, even though the vegan diet I was eating was clearly not working for my body. 

When I was 23, I got a scholarship to Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts, where I studied Anthropology. I became fascinated by the diets of hunter-gatherers and wrote a paper on them for one of my classes. This made me think really hard about the rightness or wrongness of eating a vegan diet. It was pretty clear to me at this point that our humans ancestors were obviously meat eaters. And all of the modern day hunter-gatherers that have been studied highly valued meat, and their physical health was excellent. Soon after this, I found a copy of “The Paleolithic Prescription” written by Drs. Boyd Eaton, Melvin Konner, and Marjorie Shostak, which was published in 1989. Both Newbold and Eaton et al were before their time. Neither of their books sold many copies or became particularly well-known, and both are now out of print. Yet, I still consider them to be two of the best books I have read on my journey to where I am today. I started to experiment with meat here and there, but emotionally it was still very difficult for me to eat animals. I was still eating a ton of high carb foods. 

I want to point out also that I was never a junk food vegan. I knew I could not control things like chips or cookies, so I just eliminated them from my diet. Everything I ate was unprocessed, real, whole foods. I ate lots of fruits and vegetables, non-gluten grains, beans, and tubers. But I just got sicker and sicker. In my third year of college, I completely collapsed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome (also known as Myalgic Encephalomyolitis in Britain). I was officially diagnosed by one of the world's experts on CFS/CFIDS, Dr. Paul Cheney of North Carolina. Somewhere in the midst of all of this I had gone to Dr. Peter D’Adamo in Connecticut before his books were published and he became famous. I have Type O blood which he believes does better on a hunter-gatherer type diet. So, that was more encouragement for me in this direction. But I continued to struggle with the moral-ethical-spiritual side of eating meat. I had an enormous amount of resistance to eating animals. I ended up having to drop out of school because I was too weak to get out bed to take a shower. I never knew it was possible to be that tired. Many people with CFS say they felt like they had been hit by a Mack truck, and that really is almost what it feels like. 

Even though I was adding some meat in on a fairly regular basis for periods of time, I was still eating a lot of plant foods (which I thought I needed to be healthy). I could not go to school and I could not work to support myself, so eventually I ended up going to live with my mother for a few years. Pretty much everything I put in my mouth made me feel so bad that I wished I was dead. As a result,  I did not eat much and got down to 87 lbs. I am 5’ 6” and normally weigh 115 lbs. That was scary! I went into the hospital for a battery of tests. The only thing they diagnosed was flattened villi in my small intestine. This is diagnostic for celiac disease (but keep in mind that I had not touched wheat in 15 years prior to this test). One doctor at the hospital was convinced I was suffering from Anorexia Nervosa because he just could not understand how everything I ate could make me feel bad. So, they sent me home, still as sick as ever with no treatment plan. I actually think I needed Parenteral Nutrition (intravenous) at that time. 

Anyways, I went home and prayed to Saint John of San Francisco, honored by Eastern Orthodox Christians, whose biography I had just finished reading. I told Saint John that I was out of ideas and that if God wanted me to live that He would need to find something I could eat without getting sick. I asked him to prayer for me. I completely let go and made peace with the possibility of death. The next day, I decided to try eating goat’s milk yogurt again. I had tried it many times and it never seemed to work, but that was my best idea. I ate 8 oz of yogurt with  4 oz of raspberries, and I actually felt okay after eating it. So, I waited until I was hungry again and ate exactly the same thing. I ended up eating this meal about 6 times a day for two full years. Nothing else. I got acupuncture 3 times a week during this time also,  which I feel helped to stabilize my body. Then I was able to graduate to meat. I found I did well on raw ground beef with olive oil. I ate a big bunch of lettuce or kale before I ate the meat and oil. I ate 5 oz of raw ground beef with 2 Tbsp. of olive oil 3 times a day. I did not know that I could get everything I needed from meat alone. After 2 years, I started having more and more trouble from the olive oil I was putting on the ground beef. Again, I did not know anyone doing an all-meat diet, and when I tried to eat just the ground beef without added fat, I did not feel good. I had no concept of how to get extra fat from the butcher, or that it was the fact that olive oil was high in salicylates and other natural plant toxins that might be the reason I was reacting to it. I was experiencing so many negative symptoms that I flew off into a totally different dietary direction: Fruitarianism! 

I can totally understand why people on the outside would think I am completely crazy, LOL. I tried that for 2 years and it was a complete disaster, but I ended up learning a lot about fructose and how unhealthy it is for us in large amounts. There were some other short lived experiments after this, but I eventually went back to yogurt and raspberries only for another full year. However, I did not feel as good on it this time around as I had 10 years earlier. I think this is because I had developed histamine intolerance during the interim, and yogurt is fermented and high in histamines. The raspberries were always a bit of a problem, but now they were even more so. They have salicylates in them, and I think I had become gradually more and more salicylate intolerant as well. I ended up doing a 62 day lettuce and celery (both low in salicylates, though I did not know that at the time) juice fast just to take a break from the yogurt. During this fast, I came across Jimmy Moore’s book Keto Clarity which I bought. I then went on to listen to many of his 1000 podcasts that he has made available for free on his website. And I ordered and read books from some of the authors and doctors he interviewed. I decided to try a traditional Ketogenic diet with mostly dairy and eggs, no meat. I was living with my mother again and she is a vegetarian for spiritual reasons and believes that eating meat creates bad karma. So, it was not conducive for me to eat meat around her. But I felt really bad on traditional keto just like every other diet I had tried. 

Then, somehow, I found Amber O’Hearn’s website www.ketotic.org which led me to her personal blog www.empiri.ca where she explained her own journey from a traditional keto diet to an all-meat diet. Needless to say, I was instantly captivated. I credit Amber for my discovery of the all-meat diet and also for introducing me to both salicylate and histamine intolerance. 25 years of suffering and more doctors than I can count and not a single one of them ever mentioned salicylates or histamines as possibly being the underlying culprits for all of my food intolerance issues. So, I realized that I had to find a way to make peace with eating meat. 

The book that has been the single greatest help to me in this regard is “The Vegetarian Myth” by Lierre Keith. I consider it to be one of the most beautiful books ever written. I also came to realize that if God did not want me to eat meat, then He would have given me a different body. I have accepted that I am a carnivore and that I must take the lives of other living beings in order to survive and be healthy. But as you can see, it was a very long journey for me to arrive at this place in my mind and my heart. Wow… That was a long answer!

2.In your view, was it the vegan diet that contributed towards your food sensitivities or did you always have them? Prior to going vegan at age 16, what was your diet like and did you react badly to food?


I did not have food sensitivities as a child, though I suspect that I was carb sensitive for sure. I would get headaches after consuming sugary foods like ice cream or soft drinks. I come from a long line a alcoholics too, which is a form of carb sensitivity. 

I grew up in a small town in Arizona and ate quite a bit of Mexican food: corn chips, tacos, tostadas, burritos, nachos, etc. I ate canned food like Spaghetti-Os and Ravioli. I ate Ding-Dings and Twinkies. Pretty much everything I ate came out of a package and was processed because my mother hated to cook. I started fixing all my own food by age 10. I also ate from fast food restaurants like McDonald’s, Carl’s Jr., Jack-in-the-box, Wendy’s, Pizza Hut, etc. I used to eat Fruity Pebbles cereal straight out of the box after school. Pretzels were another favorite. I would have soda when we went out to eat, but my mom did not buy it for the house. I also liked ice cream and Reese's peanut butter cups and other candies. So, I guess I ate a pretty SAD diet as a kid. I could eat pretty much anything, but I was extremely picky about what I would eat. Looking back, I had a lot of symptoms of wheat sensitivity, such as dark circles under my eyes and wetting my bed at night until I was about 8 years old. But nothing overt. 

3. You said you were diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Could you briefly explain what that is and how it felt?


I guess I sort of answered this under the first question. But basically, they still don’t exactly what causes CFS/CFIDS, but the most likely culprit is a virus in my opinion. It may or may not be the same virus for everyone. It could be that any viral infection might set off a cascade of immune system reactions that lead to what we call Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It seems that the immune system become over sensitive and starts reacting to both foods and chemicals in the environment. 

 There seems to be a lot of similarities between CFS, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, and Fibromyalgia. People with these illnesses also share a lot in common with those who have autistic spectrum disorders. Namely, we all seem to to be negatively affected by a broad range of foods. I think my vegan diet made me susceptible to getting CFS, and then I think the CFS just made my food problems 10 times worse. When I finally collapsed in college, the fatigue was EXTREME. Everything was a huge effort. Eventually, over time, I found that it was my body reacting to food that caused the fatigue, but I was reacting to so many foods that it was hard to find anything I could eat that did not knock me out. 

I have used coffee enemas off and on (mostly on!) for the past 20 years to help mitigate the reactions I get from the foods I eat. They are an almost miraculous therapeutic modality for helping me to feel better, and help to prevent chronic migraine headaches caused by the foods. For people who want to learn more about them, I wrote this short intro: http://zerocarbzen.com/coffee-enemas/ Find the all-meat diet has been the most beneficial thing I have ever found to date. It is not just about what I am eating (meat), but - more importantly - what I am not eating (all plant foods). Plant foods contain many natural toxins which they manufacture to protect themselves from predators. Plants will die if all of their leaves are eaten, so these toxins are bitter and deter over-consumption by herbivorous animals. Salicylates are one such toxin, but there are many others that could also be problematic for people when consumed in large quantities. I think that some people have a limited capacity to metabolize these plant toxins, just like some people have a limited capacity to metabolize carbohydrates. It may also be that CFS/CFIDS and similar illnesses impair a person’s ability to metabolize these endogenous plant toxins. 

I was stunned to learn recently that the quite director at my church also cannot eat any fruits or vegetables! He does not have any chronic illness, but he told me that if he eats and fruits it vegetables, he will get very sick within a week. I belong to an Eastern Orthodox Church, and there are many scheduled “fast” days throughout the year when believers are encouraged to eat what is essentially a vegan diet. I guess every time our choir director tried to follow the fast he just got sick and that is how he figured it out. So, It took me over 20 years to figure it out! I am a slow learner. LOL! I suspect that there are many many people with other kinds of chronic illnesses like arthritis or eczema who would regain their health if they simply stopped eating all plant foods.

4. I have read many accounts of vegans having problems with their teeth. Did that happen to you too?


I have always had really good teeth. My mother was a dental hygienist and made sure I got regular cleanings. I have also been asked by various hygienist that  I have been to over the years since my mother retired if I grew up on the Southwest. Apparently the water in the Southwest is unusually rich in minerals and this is associated with having very good teeth. I just had my teeth cleaned and examined a month ago for the first time in 5 years and the dentist was extremely impressed with the health of my teeth and gums. 

5. Your dog, Sasha is gorgeous! What do you feed him? Is it cooked meat or raw? And did you feed him only meat from the beginning?
image1.JPG
Esmée La Fleur with her dog Sasha

I raised Sasha on a raw meaty bone diet from the time I got him at 10 weeks of age until today. He is now 8 years old. He does have pretty severe hip displasia which is genetic. It is hard to say if the diet has helped or not because I have no way of know what he would be like if I had fed him commercial dog food. He started to show signs of unusual fatigue about 8 months ago. So I decided to take him to an alternative veterinarian Dr. Pamela Food at the Arizona Animal Wellness Center in Gilbert,AZ near where I was living at the time. She said it could just be that he is in pain from his hips, but she ordered some blood work and he had slightly elevated liver enzymes and moderate levels of acanthocytes. Acanthocytes are abnormally shaped red blood cells and can be indicative of a kind of cancer called hemangiosarcoma which German Shepherds are genetically susceptible to getting. She recommended an ultrasound of his abdomen to see if their were any masses. Fortunately, the ultrasound was clear, but Dr. Ford told me that this is a kind of cancer that can sneak up on you very fast. She recommended blood work again in 3 months to monitor him. 

But I decided to take a more proactive approach and did a water-only fast with him. We completed 16 days. Sasha could have easily made it to 21 days which was my original goal, but while he was getting stronger, I was getting weaker! I was afraid I would not be able to take care of him if I got any weaker, as I had to walk him outside 4 times a day because I was living in an apartment with no yard. Anyways, when Dr. Ford did follow up blood work, the liver enzymes were back to normal and the acanthocytes were gone. I have posted Sasha’s before and after blood work here: http://zerocarbzen.com/2015/07/15/a-16-day-water-fast-with-my-dog-sasha/ I would like to do another 2-3 week fast with him again in the near future once my living situation allows it and the wakes ther warms up (I am presently living in Northern California and it is pretty nippy here right now). Sasha got mostly chicken legs and turkey necks during the first 7 years of his life. It was not the best chicken. It was just regular Foster Farm type stuff. Not my ideal choice, but that is all I could afford. I have been trying to give him more red meat since the acanthocyte scare. I can get 76/24 ground beef for $3.69/lb and I get beef necks or lamb necks a few times a week. I also feed him beef liver a few times a week. The only plant he eats is grass whenever he finds some that fit his criteria (he is quite picky). Interestingly, grass does not have toxins like most other plants. The reason for this is because it WANTS to be eaten by grazing animals. That is what keeps the prairies ecologically in balance. So, if a person did want to include a plant food in their meat-based diet, wheatgrass juice would likely be the best choice!

6. I know you had to experiment quite a bit to find the zero-carb path that worked for you. What do you eat now in a day?


OMG! Yes, it actually took almost a year to find that I feel best fatty chuck roast. It seems to have the perfect balance of protein and fat for my particular body. According to the USDA Nutrient Database, which is used by www.cronometer.com to determine their food values, chuck roast is about 70% fat and 30% protein by calories. If I eat less fat than this, my brain does not feel satisfied and I will continue to be hungry no matter how much I eat. If I eat more fat than this, I will become HORRIBLY  nauseated for 6-12 hours. In the beginning, I could not eat store bought meat because it is high in histamines. All aged foods have histamines, and most meat is 4 weeks old before it ever hits the shelf of the supermarket for sale. So, I had to find a butcher locally that sold beef that was freshly slaughtered. I was able to get some that was only a week old. But it was grass fed and very low in fat. This meant I had to add extra fat to the meat. But that was not working too well either, because all rendered fats like butter, ghee, tallow, etc. make me HORRIBLY nauseated even in small amounts. The meat did not make me sick, but the fat I need to add to the meat did. I tried eating just lean meat, but that left my brain unsatisfied and constantly hungry. It also made me insatiably thirsty and gave me a peculiar headache. 

Then I tried lamb. I cannot stand the taste of lamb, but I did okay with it because it was fattier. Then I tried pork which is very fatty, but it made my fasting blood sugar go up to 140, and I am not diabetic. I believe this is due to a lectin present in pork meat. These fat by itself might not cause that, but I have never tested it. I really don’t like the taste of pork either. Now something amazing and unexpected happened. 

After I did the 16 day water-only fast with my dog, I decided to try a ribeye from Costco. And much to my surprise, I did not get a migraine (caused by histamines) from it. I was in disbelief and figured it must be a fluke. So a few days later I tried it again. Still no migraine. Gingerly, I tried it again a few days later. Same thing. It was like me a miracle! So, I was then able to start experimenting with different cuts of meat. Ribeye is too expensive and the ones I tried did not taste that great to me. Then, I tried New York strip steaks that turned out to be too fatty. I really wanted to be able to eat 80% of my calories as fat because it is more satisfying to my brain and body over all. I love the feeling of being in deep ketosis. But my digestive system just cannot handle it. Maybe if I ate 4 small meals a day, I could eat 80% fat, but Then I don't feel good for other reasons. I have tried eating twice a day, and even that makes me feel yucky after a few days. My body seems to require a long time in between meals to stay in balance. Eating more often than once every 24 hours causes systemic inflammation and I begin to feel really crappy in general. The best analogy I can use to describe it would be how it feels when you have a bad hangover.

 So, I have finally settled into a pattern of eating one big meal a day in the evening. For the past 3 months, I have been eating chuck roast pan-fried rare as a steak. I eat about 2 lbs. for a meal. Most of the fat is within the meat itself and does not make me nauseated. Fat is digested and absorbed in the small intestine, and because I have celiac, the villi of my small intestine was damaged. I think this is why I cannot tolerate either rendered fat or even too many chunks of pure fat. It is a very fine line for me, and it has taken me almost a full year on an all meat diet to find that happy place of “enough, but not too much.”

7. Can you see yourself eating this way for life? (I realise we can never say for sure, but just a rough idea.)


January 1 was my one year anniversary on this diet, and I feel like I finally just barely got it figured out for myself. I am in the same category as Charlene Andersen, whose story of recovery from disabling Lyme disease originally inspired me to try this diet. As long as she sticks to fatty beef, she feels great. She has eaten this way for almost 2 decades now. It is import to remember that she did not get well over night and it was a full 5 years before all of her Lyme symptoms were gone, according to her husband Joe. Our situations are not identical, but similar enough to give me hope and confidence in this way of eating. Like Charlene, I basically have no wiggle room. I cannot eat any plant foods, so there is really no where to go back to for me. I cannot eat eggs, dairy, pork, or chicken. Lamb would be okay if I liked the taste. I much prefer beef at this point in time, but who knows, maybe my tastes will change? 

And for me, the beef has to be either raw or very rare. Over cooked beef not only tastes gross to me, but I also have a very difficult time digesting it. So, yes, I absolutely see myself eating an all-meat diet for the rest of my life. I find it very satisfying in every way. Each meal is delicious. I never get tired of eating rare chuck roast steak! I look forward to it each day. 

8. Do you miss vegetables at all?


Not one iota. 

9. What do you love most about zero-carb and what do you dislike, if anything, about it?


I adore the simplicity of this way of eating. I go to one section of the supermarket, the meat department. I then go to the section dedicated to beef. I then pick out the fattiest chuck roast I can find. I then take it home and pan-fry it for about one minute on each side. I then eat it. I then feel 100% satisfied. How awesome is that?! Food used to cause me so much stress because I knew that no matter what I ate, I was going to feel bad. It was just different degrees of bad. Now, I can honestly say, that I feel pretty darn good after eating rare chuck roast steak. It is not perfect, but so much better than anything else I have tried. If I could eat more fat, then I think that would move things up another level. Maybe my ability to digest fat will improve over time. But if not, I am very happy with where I am standing right now.

10. In your opinion, is zero-carb for everyone, or only for sensitive individuals?


From a physical standpoint, I think Zero Carb (especially the all-meat version) would work really well for a large percentage of people. But, mentally and emotionally, I don’t think many people could handle it. I think it takes a health crisis of one type or another to get a person to even consider trying it. And many people would likely feel deprived. So many people have attached to foods to certain feelings from the past. It is hard for people to give that up. 

If a person can eat a broad range of foods and feel good, then I see no reason for them to change. Most everyone who finds their way to Zero Carb is suffering from some type of physical problem, whether it be obesity, diabetes, infertility, fibromyalgia, psoriasis, Crohn’s, Lyme, etc. Plus, if everyone decided to adopt an all-meat WOE (way of eating), we would be in big trouble because the planet could not support our current population on this diet. So, I am totally fine with other people eating anyway that works for them.

11. How do you unwind and relax? Do you have any hobbies or interests?


I have a daily prayer practice that I follow with both written prayers and the Prayer of Jesus, “Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me,” which I repeat mentally for a set period of time and throughout the day when I am do things that don’t require thinking. 

My dog Sasha is my best friend and just being in his presence helps to relax me and keep me in a good mood. I take him to the park and we go for walks. 

I also love to read. Books have been so very helpful to me over the years. 

12. Do you have anything you’d like to share about eating zero-carb, for anyone who is considering this way of eating but is hesitant?

There is no way you can evaluate this diet from the outside. It is import to read about it and satisfy yourself intellectually that it is a healthy choice, but in the end you just need to try it and see how you feel. I have read about and tried a lot of different diet over the years, but until I actually tried them I could not know if they would work for me or not. Some people do come to our group on facebook and even though they subscribe to this way of eating, their body does not respond favorably for whatever reason. We are not all exactly the same. We are all human, yes, but some people have much longer ancestral histories of including carbohydrates and plant foods in their diets. All of my ancestry is from Northern Europe where animal foods have been the center of the diet until very recent times. So, it stands to reason that I might do better on an all meat diet than someone whose ancestors hail from the the Middle East or Asia where grains have comprised a large part of the diet for a longer period of time. I think the best way to approach this diet is to give it a minimum of 30 days, but 6 months is a much more realistic trial. Most long term Zero Carbs do not take any supplements, but it is important to listen to your body and follow your intuition. I personally seem to require extra potassium, so I take 3,000 mg a day. Also, recent blood work showed that my folate was low, so I started taking methylfolate as well as a general B-complex. Interestingly, within a few days of starting the B vitamins, I noticed an improvement in my digestion. I was able to eat more meat and it was digesting more quickly. So start with the basics of fatty meat and water, get a baseline, and then experiment from their.

13. I have read that soups and long-cooked bone broths are high in histamines but you have said you do drink bone broth. Does it affect you in anyway? 

I know a lot of people seem to think bone broth is high in histamines, but I am not convinced because I never had a histamine reaction to it. According to Sally Fallon Morell and Kaayla Daniels, in their book Nourishing Broth, bone broth is very high in glutamine (from the cartilage), and glutamine can be easily converted into glutamates. And people who are sensitive to glutamates (think: MSG) can also react negatively to bone broth. I drank a lot of turkey bone broth for the first 8 months on this diet. I seemed to need the extra potassium it provided. I just felt better when I included it daily. Then I started to experiment with skis ting my protein to fat ratio in order to get into ketosis, and I discovered that bone broth inhibited ketosis. Glutamine is easily converted into glucose also, and it is for this reason that it is limited in cancer patients being treated with a Ketogenic diet. 

So, then I decided to stop the bone broth and just take a potassium supplement instead. That seem to work almost as well as the bone broth. Meat broth may be an alternative because it would supply the potassium without all the glutamine from the cartilage. If I could afford it, I would try cooking a round roast covered in water overnight in a crock pot and then drinking the resulting broth, but that is not in my budget at the moment.













1 comment:

  1. Great interview. Esmee is also my hero. I get so much from her zerocarbzen. She has become my go-to reference for ZC, and I can't endorse her enough.

    I too come from a fractured past with many failed attempts and disappointments, but necessary lessons. It's either a lesson or a blessing, and all lessons are blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I will take the time to read and reply. Much love.