Saturday, March 12, 2016

The dietary requirement for carbohydrates is ZERO....?

In this Huffington Post article the author shares from the Institute of Medicine's manual, which states that "The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life is apparently zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed." (IOM 2002).

That we can survive without carbs is a scientific fact. As the article states, yes, our brains needs glucose but our bodies can make it.

There is just one point I need to make here - a sort of caveat if you will for those who exercise: I have been experimenting with adding carbs BACK in, in small amounts, because of my weight training. I have to admit, I am feeling better for it. My cramping improves, my ability to push a bit harder improves and I feel slightly better. It's not a lot of carbs required, just a small amount of sweet potatoe, or half a banana (I am still experimenting with the correct carb source for me) but I have to say, a little bit of carbohydrate DOES indeed help performance, in my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I will take the time to read and reply. Much love.