Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Let's talk about varicose veins and low carb.

This summer, I am suddenly noticing how swollen and painful mine are.

I can't quite recall last summer, but nothing jumps out in my mind. Last summer I was Banting and low carb-ing it properly.

Is there a connection here?

For interests' sake, read this article here - the author seems to get relief when she cuts out sugar, and the comments are very interesting too. Sugar causes inflammation, we all know that by now. So there is definitely a common sense notion that cutting out sugar will help.

Now, from what I have read, spider veins are just smaller versions of varicose veins - veins where the elasticity of the vein wall has been compromised.

I developed my varicose veins directly after pregnancy - SO I know where mine came from. But now I am getting the odd one or two more - and the odd one or two more spider veins. So of course, I want to prevent more from developing, if possible, and I want to stop them being so painful.

The other day I was unpacking boxes of stuff, and the varicose vein on my left calf started to really ache. It was a hot day and I had been on my feet a lot. It sucks, they make me feel like an old, old woman. I mean, really, what fit girl needs to go lie down and put her feet up to rest her varicose veins? Me, that's who!

Image from Butter Nutrition

No amount of exercise will get rid of them either. The exercise does help with the blood circulation, but other than that, I am stuck with them for life. I have already had a procedure on them where the doctor went in and collapsed down the tubes feeding them, but it seems the flow is back to them. I'd like to have them removed, but to do so, they need to make small cuts in my leg, and I am not quite ready to face that yet. Maybe by the time they are bad there will be laser options for varicose veins. I know there are laser options for spider ones.


Interestingly, my mother, who I have taken after A LOT in many ways, doesn't have a single varicose vein, and to my knowledge, no spider veins either. Or very few.

So even though mine are pregnancy-related, I wonder if the chocolates and carbs I ate back then (I didn't know any better) contributed to my getting them? I will never know. I can not go back in time, unfortunately, and change my diet, but I CAN see if eating low carb now will help.

Here is another article that suggests that diet can help.

So let me notice my veins now. The last two days I have been very strict low carb and once again, I have immediate relief from bloating. And my weight is down. I know they say it's water weight, but it's still nice to see.

I will report on my veins soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I will take the time to read and reply. Much love.